Thomas J. Reynolds Safety Awards winners announced
May 15 2013
GREENSBORO, GA – The Association of Union Constructors (TAUC) on May 8 announced the winners of the annual Thomas J. Reynolds Awards for Excellence in Construction Safety and Health during a special ceremony at the 2013 TAUC Leadership Conference at the Ritz-Carlton Reynolds Plantation in Greensboro, Georgia.
The awards were created in 1983 by TAUC’s predecessor organization, the National Erectors Association (NEA), to recognize and commend the exceptional efforts made by members to prevent the occurrence of serious injury – or worse – on the jobsite. Winners are recognized for achieving a zero DART (Days Away, Restricted or Transferred) rate in one of four categories.
In 1988, the awards program was renamed to honor long-serving NEA member Thomas J. Reynolds. A U.S. Navy veteran, Reynolds spent more than forty years in the construction industry, starting out as a union ironworker, boilermaker and millwright. From 1955 to 1976 he held a variety of high-level safety positions at Bethlehem Steel, culminating in his appointment as Supervisor of Plant Protection and Safety at the company’s Burns Harbor, Indiana facility. He went on to serve as Corporate Manager of Safety for Morrison Construction Company for many years. In 1986, Mr. Reynolds was invited by Labor Secretary William Brock to join OSHA’s Advisory Committee on Construction Safety and Health, becoming the first NEA member to participate on this prestigious panel.
The winners of this year’s Thomas J. Reynolds Safety Awards are as follows.
Category One: Over 1 Million Hours Worked Without a DART Case
- Atlantic Plant Maintenance
- Brand Energy Services, LLC
- Cherne Contracting Corporation
- Graycor Industrial Constructors Inc.
- McCarl’s Inc.
- Nooter Construction Company
- Performance Mechanical, Inc.
- RMF Nooter, Inc.
- Williams Specialty Services, LLC
Category Two: 500,000 – 1 Million Hours Worked Without a DART Case
- Atlas Industrial Contractors, LLC
- Gribbins Insulation Company
- Independence Excavating, Inc.
- Matrix SME
- MC Industrial
- Midwest Steel, Inc.
- Morrison Construction Company
- Power Process Piping, Inc.
- Scheck Mechanical Corporation
- The American Group of Constructors
- Triangle Enterprises, Inc.
Category Three: 100,000 – 499,999 Hours Worked
- Alberici Global Automotive Constructors, LLC
- Central Rent-A-Crane, Inc.
- Dearborn Mid-West Conveyor Company
- George V. Hamilton, Inc.
- Helmkamp Construction Company
- Ideal Contracting, LLC
- Manta Industrial, Inc.
- Meccon Industries, Inc.
- Norris Brothers Company, Inc.
- Power Piping Company
- Pritchard Electric Company, Inc.
- Rand Construction Company
- Scheck Industrial
- Scheck Technical Services, Inc.
- Shelby Mechanical, Inc.
- The State Group Industrial (USA) Limited
- Universal Inc. (ISG)
Category Four: Less than 99,999 Hours Worked Without a DART Case
- Anderson Industrial Construction Co.
- Black Swamp Steel, Inc.
- Custom Service Crane, Inc.
- Delta Nooter
- Douglas Steel Erection Co.
- Fuellgraf Electric Company
- GVH Environmental, Inc.
- M & O Environmental Company
- Scheck Mechanical Wisconsin Corporation
In addition, 34 companies received Certificates of Achievement for posting a DART rate of 25% or more below the national average, as calculated by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Those companies receiving certificates were:
- Alberici Constructors
- AmQuip Crane Rental LLC
- AMS Mechanical Systems, Inc.
- APComPower, Inc.
- BMW Constructors, Inc.
- Bowen Engineering Corporation
- Broadway Electric Service Corporation
- Bruce & Merrilees Electric Company
- Commercial Contracting Corporation
- Construction & Turnaround Services, LLC
- Corval Constructors, Inc.
- Enerfab Corporation
- Enerfab Electric, Inc.
- Imperial Crane Services, Inc.
- Industrial Contractors Skanska
- J.J. White, Inc.
- JH Kelly, LLC
- Kelley Steel Erectors, Inc.
- Kiewit Power Constructors Co.
- Kvaerner North American Construction Inc.
- M & O Insulation Company
- Matrix SME
- MCT Services, LLC
- Minnotte Contracting
- Pioneer Pipe, Inc.
- Power Maintenance & Constructors
- Ryan & Associates, Inc.
- Sachs Electric Company
- Solid Platforms, Inc.
- Stevens Engineers & Constructors, Inc.
- Superior Construction Company, Inc.
- The Ruhlin Company
- Thermal Solutions, Inc.
- Williams Plant Services, LLC
Awards were given based on work performances during the 2012 calendar year. All direct-hire work-hours under all collective bargaining agreements were eligible.
For additional information on the Thomas J. Reynolds Safety Awards, click here.