2016 Thomas J. Reynolds Safety Award Winners Announced
May 10 2016
NAPLES, FL – The Association of Union Constructors (TAUC) on May 4 announced the winners of the annual Thomas J. Reynolds Awards for Excellence in Construction Safety and Health during a special ceremony at the 2016 TAUC Leadership Conference at the Ritz-Carlton Golf Resort in Naples, Florida.
The awards were created in 1983 by TAUC’s predecessor organization, the National Erectors Association (NEA), to recognize and commend the exceptional efforts made by members to prevent the occurrence of serious injury – or worse – on the jobsite. Winners are recognized for achieving a zero DART (Days Away, Restricted or Transferred) rate in one of four categories.
In 1988, the awards program was renamed to honor the late Thomas J. Reynolds, a long-serving NEA member. A U.S. Navy veteran, Reynolds spent more than forty years in the construction industry, starting out as a union ironworker, boilermaker and millwright. From 1955 to 1976 he held a variety of high-level safety positions at Bethlehem Steel, culminating in his appointment as Supervisor of Plant Protection and Safety at the company’s Burns Harbor, Indiana facility. He went on to serve as Corporate Manager of Safety for Morrison Construction Company for many years. In 1986, Mr. Reynolds was invited by Labor Secretary William Brock to join OSHA’s Advisory Committee on Construction Safety and Health, becoming the first NEA member to participate on this prestigious panel.
This year, 102 contractors received Thomas J. Reynolds Safety Awards. These winners amassed more than 119 million work hours with 193 DART Cases in 2015. The average DART Rate of these TAUC members was an astounding .320 for 2015, well under the BLS National Average of 2.0.
The winners of this year’s Thomas J. Reynolds Safety Awards are as follows.
Category One: Over 1 Million Hours Worked Without a DART Case
- AmQuip Crane Rental LLC
- BMWC Constructors, Inc.
- Corval Constructors, Inc.
- Kiewit Power Constructors Co.
- Solid Platforms, Inc.
Category Two: 500,000 – 1 Million Hours Worked Without a DART Case
- Advanced Industrial Services, LLC
- Amex Nooter LLC
- Gallagher-Kaiser Corporation
- Ideal Contracting, LLC
- Piping & Equipment Company
- Ryan & Associates, Inc.
- The State Group Industrial (USA) Limited
- Walbridge Aldinger Company
Category Three: 100,000 – 499,999 Hours Worked Without a DART Case
- Anderson Electric, Inc.
- Central Rent-A-Crane, Inc.
- Chemsteel Construction Company
- Cornerstone Services Group, LLC
- Dearborn Mid-West Company
- EMCOR Hyre Electric Co. of Indiana, Inc.
- Fisher Tank Company
- Grand River Construction, Inc.
- GVH Environmental, Inc.
- Henderson Services, LLC
- Madison Industrial Services Team, Ltd.
- MC Industrial
- Meccon Industries, Inc.
- Monarch Welding & Engineering, Inc.
- New States Contracting, LLC
- Niles Industrial Coatings
- Norris Brothers Company, Inc.
- Power Process Piping, Inc.
- Pritchard Electric Company, Inc.
- Rand Construction Company
- Sargent Electric Company
- Simakas Company, Inc.
- Stevenson Crane Service, Inc.
- Thatcher Foundations Inc.
- The Pangere Corporation
- Thermal Solutions, Inc.
- United Construction Company, Inc.
Category Four: Less than 99,999 Hours Worked Without a DART
- Case Custom Service Crane, Inc.
- Delta Nooter
- Douglas Steel Erection Company
- Fuellgraf Electric Company
- ISS Insulation Services & Solutions
- Michigan Mechanical Insulation, Inc.
- Scheck Technical Services, Inc.
- StructSure Environmental, LLC
Certificate of Achievement Winners
In addition, 54 companies received Certificates of Achievement for posting a DART rate of 25% or more below the national average, as calculated by the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Those companies receiving certificates were:
- Abel Construction Company, Inc.
- Alberici Constructors
- AMS Mechanical Systems, Inc.
- APi Construction Co.
- Argus Contracting, LLC
- Atlantic Contracting & Specialties, LLC
- Atlantic Plant Maintenance
- Atlas Industrial Contractors, LLC
- Avalotis Corporation
- Babcock & Wilcox Construction Co., Inc.
- Barton Malow Company
- Ben Hur Construction Company
- Bowen Engineering Corporation
- Brand Energy Services, LLC
- Broadway Electric Service Corporation
- Bruce & Merrilees Electric Company
- C.R. Meyer and Sons Company
- Chapman Corporation
- Chellino Crane
- Cherne Contracting Corporation
- Commercial Contracting Corporation
- Construction & Turnaround Services, LLC
- Day & Zimmermann NPS, Inc.
- Enerfab Power & Industrial, Inc.
- George V. Hamilton, Inc.
- Graycor Industrial Constructors Inc.
- Gribbins Insulation Company
- Hayes PMC
- Industrial Contractors Skanska
- J.J. White, Inc.
- JH Kelly, LLC
- Kelley Steel Erectors, Inc.
- Lytle Electric Company
- M & O Insulation Company
- Matrix North American Construction Inc.
- McCarl’s Inc.
- McClure Company
- McGraw/Kokosing, Inc.
- Morrison Construction Company
- NAES Power Contractors
- Nooter Construction Company
- Performance Contracting, Inc.
- Performance Mechanical, Inc.
- Pioneer Pipe, Inc.
- RMF Nooter, Inc.
- Scheck Mechanical Corporation
- Shelby Mechanical, Inc.
- Somerset Steel Erection Company, Inc.
- Stevens Engineers & Constructors, Inc.
- StructSure Scaffold & Insulation, LLC
- Superior Construction Company, Inc.
- The Boldt Company
- Triangle Enterprises, Inc.
- Vertical Access Solutions, LLC
Awards were given based on work performances during the 2015 calendar year. All direct-hire work-hours under all collective bargaining agreements were eligible. For additional information on the Thomas J. Reynolds Safety Awards, click here.